University of Veritas
It was founded by the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria through a resolution given at its March 2002 meeting in Abuja.
The initiative came from the Bishops’ quest for a University that would provide high quality tertiary education according to the noble tradition of the Catholic Church.
The University emphasizes strong moral values, self-reliance and the development of the students’ entrepreneurial capabilities for the social and economic benefit of the graduates and the Nigerian society.This is an appropriate response to Pope John Paul II’s call for Catholic Universities to be instruments for the educational advancement of the people of God expressed in his Encyclical Letter, Ex Corde Ecclesiae No. 30.A provisional License to operate the University was granted by the National Universities Commission in May 2007.
The permanent site of the University is located in Bwari, Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
However, the University commenced admission of students in October 2008, for the 2008/2009 academic year at its take-off campus in Obehie Town, Abia State, Nigeria.
The University seeks to provide higher education and balanced training in an atmosphere of peace without discriminating against or excluding other students of our society provided that they are academically qualified and socially fit to study in the University. While promoting authentic human and cultural development modelled on the person of Christ, the University champions the cause of truth and uprightness in favour of the marginalized and encourage dialogue and collaboration in human relationships at all levels. (ECE nos 31-37)
Admission and Applications
WAEC, NECO, NABTEB: Five (5) credits at not more than two (2) sittings, including English Language for all courses. For example:
- For B.A. English and Literary Studies, a credit in Literature-in-English is required.
- For B.A. History and International Relations, a credit in History or Government is required.
- For B.Sc. Accounting, a credit in Mathematics is required.
- For B.Sc. Economics, a credit in Mathematics is required.
- For B.Sc. Marketing and Advertising, a credit in Mathematics is required.
- For B.Sc. Political Science and Diplomacy, a pass in Mathematics is acceptable.
- For B.Sc. Applied Microbiology, a credit in Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology is required.
- For B.Sc. Industrial Chemistry, a credit in Chemistry and two of Physics, Biology and Mathematics is required.
- For B.Sc. Physics with Electronics, a credit in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry or Biology is required.
Bwari Area Council, FCT, Abuja
Liason Office Abuja:
Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria, plot 459 Cadastral zone, Durumi II.
P.O.Box 6523, Garki, Abuja
P.M.B 7084, Aba, Abia State, Nigeria
For urgent enquiries call: 08064237983